Witholding of personal property for money

Status
Not open for further replies.

justice77

Hello.

I left an expensive bed (worth $3000) and some other items with a "friend" whom I have known for many years at his house before going to Europe. I had tried to sell the bed but couldn't get close to what I paid for it, and also being that I loved it so much I didn't want to let it go. He said that he would pay me $500 for the bed and would keep it at his house and if I ever wanted it back I would just give him the $500 back. I ended up moving back to the States and wanted the bed back and I have an email from him stating that he was fine with that and he would send me his bank information so I could wire the money and have the movers go to get the bed. Then after several weeks of trying to contact him, and him ignoring my emails, I called and he told me the only way I could get the bed back was to give him my diamond ring, worth about $2600. I am in shock. There was no talking to him and he hung up on me saying that I either gave him the ring, or I could not have my things back.

What can I do legally in this situation? We never signed anything because we have been friends for so long, but this is not right. Is this extortion? In addition, he entered my house one night, violently attacked my friend, and caused property damage and I can prove this too. I no longer live in the state where this occurred, and to go to court and go through all of this would create a lot of expense for me to fly there and stay there not to mention extra expense involved in shipping the bed if I cannot get it in the next few weeks before the movers ship the rest of my stuff here to the east coast. I am sure I could sue him in court and win, but I am trying to avoid that. I am willing to pay him the $500 and forget the property damage to get my things back and be done with it be he refuses unless I give him this diamond ring.

Please advise me what I can do.

He doesn't have to do anything.
You have no proof as to how he came to possess the property other than some emails.
Good luck convincing a suspicious judge those emails are legit.
Small claims judges can't order specific performance or enjoin a person to do this, or restrain one from doing that.
Small claims courts award monetary recompense.
So, off to court you go.
You got played.
Happens hundreds of times each day all across the USA.
Next time pay a legitimate storage facility to store your junk.
Dude wasn't your friend, just another financial predator.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back