Witholding keys till landlord does the requested move out inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampit

When I was moving out of a condo that I had been renting for nearly 7 years, I requested a pre-move out and a post-move inspection from the property management co. The property manager agreed to an inspection but showed up a day earlier (on the day I was moving), and when I pointed it out, she decided to come back the next day. She never kept the appointment and did not inform me although I left her a voice mail about my desire to do the move out walkthrough. I held on to the keys since I did not want to be held responsible for anything that would provide an excuse to the landlord not to refund my deposit. Two days later, I got an email from the manger wondering about the keys and with the threat that she was going to charge me rent for every day that the keys were not returned. I promptly replied that I have been waiting patiently for them to show up to do the walk through. I had already moved into my new place about a week ago and finally turned the keys in without a walkthrough. However, they deducted one week's rent from my deposit. I understand that rent is payable when I have the keys but I also know that they are obliged to cooperate with me for a walkthrough when I request it. Who is responsible for the delay in this situation and how can I get one week's rent back. I have documents to prove my move out date (truck rental, new lease etc.)

These are two seprate issues. Long as you hold keys you retain possesion of dwelling and that was the additional weeks rent. Them not showing up for walkthrough wont matter if you took video and pictures of dwelling as you left it and if they seek more in damages than you feel is correct. Until you get notice of how much of your deposit is being returned theres nothing to argue

Agreed. You should not have held on to the keys. Had you turned in the keys when you were done moving out then you would have a much better argument to make. They would not be charging additional rent and would have to find another reason to deduct from your deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back