Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Withholding Personal Property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

felicat

My situation is a little complex, please bear with me, but I am under a considerable amount of stress and have nowhere else to turn to.

I suffer from severe depression and anxiety, and have also been trying to get on disability, as I have been so high-strung as of late that I keep having panic attacks and sleep paralysis, so please forgive me if I jump around a bit in my paragraphs.

I originally lived in RI for my entire life. I was forced to live with my friend's hoarder aunt, whom I will refer to as M, because I had nowhere else to live, and we made an agreement that I would pay 1/3 of the rent, and 1/3 of utilities. I live there from June till August 3rd. M was supposed to clear out a room for me, which she never did, therefore I was expected to camp on a 5x7 area of floor in her nephew's room. I told M in June that if she did not have a room situated for me by the end of July, that I would pay half of what I was paying already, since I did not have a room. She agreed. I come out of the room to make lunch on August 1st, only to find maggots all over the place. I couldn't take it anymore. I talked to my fiance, and he offered to fly me down to him in Florida on the 6th, giving me time to pack essentials. I talked to the landlord, paid my whole part of the rent instead of the half like I had told M I would do if I did not have a room, and told him my situation. He said that was no problem, and wished me luck.

So I flew down to Florida, and called M a few weeks later to see if she would ship a couple of small things down for me. She said I owed her $300 for utilities for the month of August. Now, considering I had been there 3 days of the month (I stayed at a friends house from the 3rd till I flew out on the 6th), I told her that didn't seem right. She said that she would not ship a thing till she saw the money. I told her I'd see what I could do, though I told her I didn't get where she was getting this sum from. She didn't answer me, but instead hung up without saying another word.

Now, my memory is not that great, so I forgot about calling her back. Now, a few weeks ago, I called a doctor to get an appointment to get myself checked out about my memory lapses and my anxiety for my disability case. I asked my friend if I sent him some money if he would ship down my birth certificate and some other things of importance to me, as I needed my birth certificate to get a new ID, so that, in turn, I could have the available identification for my doctor so that I could see him. I sent a money order, and today he messaged me back, saying that M refused to give him anything unless I sent the $300 dollars I "owed" her for the utilities. Now, M was not supposed to be in charge of my things, before I left I told my friend that his other aunt, who I will refer to as B, was in charge of it, and was to store it in her bin and out of M's. Apparently, M still has my stuff and it is in her bin. B and my friend were in the company of each other when I made it clear that M was not allowed to touch any of my stuff, and was no longer in charge of it. How M got it is beyond me, and she refuses to give me anything even though my health is somewhat at stake for it. I called the police up in Rhode Island, and they said there was nothing they could do. They said to get a lawyer. Now, I am on unemployment at the present, and a majority of my money goes towards my rent and bills. How would I afford to pay a lawyer? And is this considered Withholding property or theft of some kind? Any assistance would be helpful, I am highly stressed out about this whole ordeal and need a fast response, as it is imperative that I get my birth certificate and the other few items down here A.S.A.P.

Thank you for your input and suggestions,
FeliCat

M's option, if M wants get money from you, is to sue you for it in court.
Your option, at this point, is to sue M in civil court to get your property back.

You should have taken your valuables and important documents with you. M is under no obligation whatsoever to send anything to you, and she does not have to allow anyone into the home to get your property. You left it behind and it is your responsibility. You could go back to get it yourself, however at this point you are no longer a resident and do not have free access to the home, and M likely will not give you anything without payment. The court would settle the dispute.

You have two choices.
1. Pay M what she asks or at least negotiate a lesser amount.
2. Forget about the items you left behind if they are not valuable. You can get a new copy of your birth certificate from the county where you born and can likely have it sent to you. With that you can go get your new state ID and just start from scratch.

I had no choice but to leave it behind, and, being on minimal income, I couldn't afford to take it all with me. I thank you for your advice, I really do, and will try to do that, but I don't know if that will be possible due to the distance. Would I have to fly up there to do this? Or would it be possible for me to do this over the phone?

If you want to pay her then contact her and negotiate an amount. She will likely settle for less than what she is asking. You probably don't owe that money to her, but if that is the easiest way for you to get your items back then go for it. It is probably best to have a friend go with the money and recover the property to send to you. You don't want to send her money and trust that she will promptly send you anything... because she might not do it. Make sure the friend knows to look for the most important items you need to make sure they are received.

The least expensive option for you (assuming there are no valuables involved) is to just let go of whatever she is holding. For a minimal amount you can get a new copy of your birth certificate and then start working on the other documents you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back