Wisconsin's Utility Gas company WE Energies claims: they want to give me $100 only, to r

jasonamiller

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
Wisconsin's Utility Gas company WE Energies claims question, they want to give me $100 only, however to replace it is $316

WE Energies was performing a standard meter check two weeks ago and they dropped a gas valve in my grass. I did not see it and ran it over with my lawn mower. It bent the shaft and broke the self-propel transmission. They admit it was their fault and offered me $100 however to replace the mower with a comparable mower will cost me $299 plus tax ($316). My mower was 8 years old, I understand depreciation however I also understand logic and reason. Repair costs are not possible as the mower is no longer manufactured and the costs would be more than the price of a new one. Two weeks ago I had a working mower and today I don't and $100 will not get me a working mower. Since this is such a low amount I am not going to place a homeowners claim or sue but do I need to accept the $100 or should they pay the full replacement amount?

You had a used mower, they owe you for a used mower.

You can take the $100 and buy a comparable used mower on Craigslist. Look for the same make or model or one with verifiable similarities and if you spend a bit more than $100, get a written receipt with the replacement mower's brand, model, and serial number and submit it to the utility company and ask for the difference.

You will have to show that you spent the money on a replacement used mower. They don't owe you anything for speculation.

Back