Medical Malpractice Wire found in pulmonary arteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

pribbon

I've just learned that I have a 10cm long wire in my pulmonary arteries.

Brief history:

In 2005, I was diagnosed with and treated for breast cancer. I had surgery and a portacath placed in March of '05. (The port was removed in Oct of '05)

I had a PET/CT scan on 9/13/2007. (My 1st one since before my surgery)
The report concludes:
There is a linear radiodensity within the left upper and lower lobe pulmonary arteries suggestive of a wire. Radiographic correlation is recommended.

RADIOLOGIC EXAM, Chest. 2 views, frontal & lateral on 9/14/2007. The report concludes:
The curvilinear radiodensity approximately 10 cm in length is consistent with an embolized wire. CT pulmonary angiography should be considered.

CTA Chest, without & with contrast on 9/17/2007.
The report concludes:
Radiopaque foreign body is noted, on the left within the left pulmonary arteries. There is a small amount of thrombus adjacent to the wire, particularly at the origin of the left lower lobe pulmonary artery. However, no large obstructing thrombus is present.

On 10/03/2007 I was sent by referral a cardiothoracic surgeon. His report is handwritten and not terribly legible. Here's what I can make of it...

Diagnosis: Foreign body (Metallic wire) in left..
Recommended procedure: no surgery recommended.

From his notes:
2005 - portacath insertion for chemotherapy. Possible source? of wire??
Small thin wires seen in L-lung field (?).
Lung field clear except the above.
1. recommended no surgical intervention.
2. next year plain (?) chest x-ray
3. Lung perfusion scan possible

The doctor didn't mention #s 2 or 3 to me during our consultation. He explained that it would be too dangerous to surgically remove the wire, as it is imbedded in my pulmonary arteries. He stated that it wouldn't pose a problem, or something to that effect, in the future. (He didn't state this in his report, however). I was concerned about the affect of MRI on my body with the wire present. I had an MRI on 10/11/2006. I asked if that could be what moved the wire or caused any complications. I shared my concern about future MRIs. With a history of breast cancer, I will be needing MRIs as they are still the best diagnostic tool for detecting breast cancer. He didn't directly answer and suggested, if necessary, other means of diagnosis would be available.

Also, I'm very curious and concerned about why this wire is in my pulmonary arteries! The cardiothoracic surgeon didn't seem to have any suggestions or ideas on the subject of how or when or why...

I spoke with an attorney in another state (a friend of the family) who said that California law is "awful" and that while my case is clear, the damages are not.

Where do I go from here?

Thank you,
pribbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back