Consumer Law, Warranties Window Contractor Backing Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbes

I had two different companies come out and give me quotes to replace the windows in my house. I was quoted $2300 by the first company, and $2600 by the second company. When I told the second company what the first company quoted me, he brought his price down to $2000. I told him I would think about it and get back to him.

I called the second company back and decided I wanted to go with them. The salesman came out to my house again with a contract. I signed the contract, he signed the contract, and I gave hime a check for $670 as a deposit.

About an hour after the salesman left, he called me and said the price he gave me was way to low, and they wanted $2900 to do due the job and instead of $2000.

Obviously this is way to high from their original price and I don't want them done at that price.

I'm looking at the contract, and it has the standard '3 days to cancel' for me, but I don't see how they are able to just void the contract because the salesguy got their pricing wrong. The only terms I see about modifying the contract is if both parties agree and sign off on it.

The refuse to honor the contract and said they are mailing me my deposit check back.

Is there anything I can do to get them to honor what the signed contract says?

I'm in Virginia FYI.

Thanks!

First, I would report them to your local Better Business Bureau.
If all things are like you say, it sounds like a binding contract. I work in the industry you speak of, and even on the rare occassion I botch a quote, I NEVER raise the price on the customer.... bad business. However, I would consult a local attorney and ask them what recourse you have. You might be able to sue for the cost difference in small claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back