Wills, Guardianships, and Further Complications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mango

Well, let me start by giving a bit of a back story...

I am a 17 year old male who lives with his aunt and uncle. My mother and father got a divorce when I was still a child (mostly due to my mother's drug problem). My father remained a single parent until he died in 1998 of a heart attack. Guardianship of both myself and my money moved to my aunt and uncle.

My aunt and uncle have both been out of work for over a decade and I have long suspected that they had been tapping into what should be my money in order to sustain the family. By suspected, I mean that I can see that as the only possible way they have been able to manage. It recently has come to my attention that my grandmother, who died in 2004, willed her entire estate to me (which I assume is because, unlike my two cousins, I don't have actual parents who would be able to help pay for college and whatnot after I leave the home of my aunt and uncle). I found this out through a friend, not my aunt or uncle.

I've pretty much accepted the fact that most, if not all, of the money my father left me (including his savings and the money resulting from the sale of his house) has been spent. However, my grandmother's house is just now about to go on the market. The house has been assessed at $166,600.

Now, let me state that I love my aunt and uncle very much, and I would in no way want to harm them. HOWEVER, I find that their illegal spending of money that should have been used to only my benefit was wrong and selfish. Especially since they never asked me and especially since they've been using it without even having their own jobs (using it as a primary funding versus using that money as a supplement to their income). Secondly, and just as significantly, in allowing them to use that money, I am effectively enabling them to not get jobs.

I guess my big question here is, come my 18th birthday (or any time in the near future), how would I go about cutting off their usage of my money. I recognize their need for money, and I recognize that the same money has probably been aiding my brothers in paying for their schooling. I'm also more than willing to allow them money to help them out... but in no way would I do that unless they both get jobs.

Note that when I've never seen any of the wills and, upon casually asking, my parents have always been very unspecific about the money my father has left me.

Thanks in advance for any advice... just post if you need any further clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back