will & property title

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginnyb56

My mom passed away about 10 years ago. My dad just passed away last fall. Although he executed his will when I was still a minor & it lists my grandmother as my guardian, I am the only beneficiary listed in my dads will. I was cosigner on all of my Dads accounts & listed as beneficiary on his life insurance policies. The problem is that he never changed or added me to the title on his home. He felt that the will was all I needed even though it was so old. I thought that all I would need is the witnessed will & the death certificate for my mom & my dad to change the property into my name with the county. They however returned my paperwork & said I should probably get an attorney. What would the possible reason for this be? Any ideas on possible solutions short of hiring an attorney?

You will need to go to probate court and file to be named as the personal representative of his estate. That is the only way the title can be transferred. It will be more complicated if your mother's name is still on the title but that depends on exactly how it is listed. If it is joint tenancy with right of survivorship you will need to file her death certificate with the county and they will change it to his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back