will legality in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellykat

I am my father's only child, but we have been estranged for years. I've recently found out through a distant cousin that my father passed. My father was an extreme alcoholic and when I had last spoken to him; had started becoming delusional. He originally had a will that left everything to me; however, in his last year his delusions had become severe and out of bitterness he dictated a new will over the phone to his cousin's attorney. The attorney drew up the new will and sent it to my father who then brought it to his local bank and had two employees witness his signature. The new will was never notarized. This new will left most of his estate to old drinking buddies and acquaintances that he no longer had contact with and cut me out of the will. When all this was brought to my attention; I inquired about his original will. However, my cousin had hired people to go into my father's house and throw out all his belongings; this included all paperwork. I contacted his original attorney, but he did not have a copy of the original will. My question: With the will not being notarized and my father not being in his right mind; do I have any standing in fighting this new will? Also, if I do have a chance; what would happen to his estate if I can get the will thrown out? Should I bother getting an attorney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back