Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft will it show in my background/criminal check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfscared

about a month ago i was caught shoplifting. the state is california. the police was never called and i was never arrested, i wasn't sentence to court or anything. they never asked me to sign anything either. what happen was i was just sent to the back room, they took the stuff back (which it was about $80 worth of stuff), took my id and enter my information down, and took a picture of me. they let me know that a bill will be sent to my address and that i'm banned from the store. then they let me go. i havent received any civil letter yet in the mail. so my question for my situation is:

if i apply to a retail store for a sales associate position, will this affect me getting the job? can they see what i've done recently? will this be in my background check when they run it? does this consider me that i have "convicted a crime" since they ask that question? how would i answer that?

i just really hope this doesn't affect me getting a job. i went to an inteview few weeks ago and i was hired on the spot, then they went through my application and i assume they were trying to run a background check but an error was happening. when i called them back they asked me have i ever convicted something because they said i never answered that question, when actually i did and i said no in there. i told them the truth after they asked me while i was afraid they might already know. so i was then got declined for the position. just from that incident i'm afraid it really does show in my record and causing me not to get a job.

If the store you stole from subscribes to a Retail Theft database they likely put your name in database. Any subscriber to same database(s) will be able to see that info

how will i be able to know if my name is in the database or which companies that associated with that database? is there a way for us to check or see?

Unless the store that stopped you is willing to tell you they belong to said database you wont know. When filling out an application the question about convictions is in regards to criminal convictions which means through courts! If you have not gone to court then put no!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back