Will i be sent to jail?

I was caught shoplifting under $500.
This was my first time doing it.
First offense...
I am 14 years old.
Will i be sent to jail?

You're a minor.
You have no rights.
The court won't even recognize you UNLESS your parents or guardians accompany you.
I suggest you sit down with mother, father, or one of your guardians whatever fits your lifestyle), and ask one, both, or ALL of them to help you navigate the coming thunderstorm in your life.
Talk to them, come clean, ask them to help you.
That's all you've got right now, kid.

Jail, no way, kid. Kids don't get jail sentences for committing delinquent acts.
You'll get some community service, perhaps ordered to write an essay on honesty, some juvie probation, and be required toi take some classes on honesty, ethics, and obedience to the law.
That presumes the judge decides to adjudicate you as having behaved delinquently. You're as pure as a fresh snowfall, until and unless a court says otherwise; or you cop yourself a plea (with the approval of course, of your parental or guardian units).

Last edited:
I was caught shoplifting under $500.
This was my first time doing it.
First offense...
I am 14 years old.
Will i be sent to jail?

I am a retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Unless you have a prior criminal record the chances you will go to jail are almost zero. talk to your parents then consult an Attorney. When talking to the Attorney ask about defense options and plea deals. You need to also prepare your parents for the Civil Demand letter they will likely get from stores law firm more here http://www.parentnook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=3934 and here http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59980 on that.

You need to talk to your parents & have them see about getting you a lawyer. Talk only to your parents & the lawyer.

Since you said this is your first offense (& most likely even if it wasn't), you will not get jail time.

Back