Will Guardianship affect Child Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaStar00

Hello. I'm 25 year old full time student. I have a 5 year old who will be 6 in a few weeks. I just now found his real father and we're going through the process of getting him tested. He is already in jail for non-support. But my question is back when i was 20 my adopted mother forced me to sign guardnship over to her. But at that time I had medicaid and just got it back earlier this year. Everythign from enrolling my son in school and daycare my name is on. Her name is not on anything. I was just wondering with her having guardianship would that affect my chances of getting more money for child support? I have a medical insurance for both myself and my son and foodstamp card. His day has been in my name since 2002 and not my adopted mother because she makes to much and I don't. All his school and shot records my name and signautre are on. Please let me know what I should do. I already talked to her about giving me guardianship back and she said she would becasue she is tired of aruging about with me. She really doesn't do anything for my son anyway but give us a place to stay while I'm in school. I gradaute this coming May and will be moving away and living with my boyfriend who basicially supports my son. He buys him clothes, shoes and pays for him to play sports. She doesn't do any of that. I went away after I graudated high school to college about 45mins away and had my son and came back home. She said I can stay so long as I'm in school and didn't have to pay for anything.

:confused:

I am confused, if you are not sure if the guy who is in jail is the real father, how can there be a vhild support order? You should not be collecitng child support if your child is not in your physical custody. If this guy is an idiot and you ask for child support, understand once paternity is established, he can sue for visitation and or custody. If guardianship is signed over to someone else he can certainly seek to change this.

You need to grow a backbone to your mom and revoke guardianship if you no longer want her to have it. You are 25 and its time to be a mom and co-parent with bio dad. Your boyfriend is not the father and has no rights here.

I have been a mom thank you. I take care of him and buy him clothes and food and he has medical insurance. I just signed guardianship papers not custody. There is not a child support order yet. He is in the process of being tested along with my son sometime this week. I talked to my mother and she is giving me guardianship back because she is tired of me going off on her about it. She told me back when I was 19 or 20 that the guardianship was for insurance. However, I had insurance Medciad from the government. I got that insurance back and also foodstamps. SO I take care of my child. I graduate next year and currently looking for jobs.

My boyfriend helps me take care of my child. Becase honestly, no one in my family really cares about me or my son. My boyfriend took care of his ex's child from the day she was born till now. To me that is a good strong man.

Anything else you would like to know ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back