Parole, Probation Will friend violate probation by getting new charge in diff state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahgdgsdfdz

My friend is technically on probation in Florida. I say "technically" because he has done his last report and paid all his fines. The date it ends is just a few days away. His probation officer allowed him to travel to Alabama for work. He was just picked up on some new charges in Alabama. When he was arrested they didn't say anything about his probation and neither did he. What is going to happen? Is there a chance Florida won't know about the new charges, they won't violate him, and his probation will just end in a few days like it was supposed to? Or will they violate him? How do the systems work? Are the computers linked? How could they find out about the new charges?

Duh. I'm not asking if the old probation department could or if he would be in more trouble. I'm asking how could they find out? How does that part of the system work? And what are the chances that they will find out?

Also. since he has finished all the requirements but the date it ends is a few days away, would they consider it a violation or would they consider the old probation as being over?

Please do not respond unless you actually know the answers to the things that I am asking. I'm already stressed out enough over this...

Duh. I'm not asking if the old probation department could or if he would be in more trouble. I'm asking how could they find out? How does that part of the system work? And what are the chances that they will find out?

Also. since he has finished all the requirements but the date it ends is a few days away, would they consider it a violation or would they consider the old probation as being over?

Please do not respond unless you actually know the answers to the things that I am asking. I'm already stressed out enough over this...

There is either being on probation, or being released from probation.

Technically on probation is like being technically pregnant.

One is pregnant or not pregnant.

One is on probation or not on probation.

He is under a legal obligation to report all contacts with police agencies to his P/O.

The computer systems do keep other states updated.

The computer systems can decipher who is on parole, probation, or wanted.

Will Alabama report the matter to Florida?

Probably, but I can't know if it will get reported.

Let's just say, he's at risk.

But, he's at risk anyway with the new Alabama issues, so he should address one thing at a time.

Thank you Betty for that link.

I did not say that people can not respond, I just asked people not to if they didn't have answers that could help...

The thing about his situation is that he is done reporting. When he would fill out a report it would ask if he had any contact w/ police etc, but since he is done reporting no one will be asking him that question...

I would think that if the computer systems kept other states updated then they would already know, but Alabama DIDN'T know he was on probation... so obviously it's not all connected...

I've done some more research and it seems like it is a crap shoot, so to speak... They may find out and they may not... For anyone out there dealing with a similar situation, it's worth your time to check out that link Betty posted. Best of luck to everyone! Remember, none of us are perfect! Most of us break a law at some point in our lives whether it's speeding, getting into a verbal argument with someone, throwing something on the ground while angry... Most people that don't know the in's and out's of the laws would be shocked to learn what you can be charged with... None of us are perfect! Blessings to all :)

You're welcome for the link. Betty3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back