Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI will a DUI keep a soldier from deployment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russb2009

back in april 2008 I recieved a DUI, I was not allowed to speak with an attorney the night I was arrested and asked to speak to an attorney when the officer asked me to blow and if knew all my rights. I was handed a phone book and could not get ahold of any legal advisors and he said he didnt have time for this (I was allowed about 5 minutes to try and get ahold of a lawyer at 3 in the morning.) and took me to clackamas county jail. Later I hired an attorney that said he thought I could fight the case and win, but all he did was file continuances, it has been almost a year. I dropped my lawyer because we disagreed (he wanted to be paid in full before trial and I felt he had not done anything to date on my case except attent the DMV hearing and file continuance.) since the arrest I have been put on orders to deploy to afghanistan january 26th. my court date is january 12, I have brought a copy of my orders and am planning to plead no contest in hopes of being able to get this over with and I am hoping to be able to deploy and hopefully do treatment when I get back from my deployment. is there a chance I will be able to deploy with my unit? and if I plead no contest and am convicted of DUI and not allowed to deploy would I be thrown out of the national guard?

Consult the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act

You will want to consult the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act, which may allow you to get a continuance until after your deployment. You may also want to contact the JAG office at your nearest post. Lastly, I suggest that you find an ex-JAG lawyer to represent you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back