wifes bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbbajr

i've been married just under three years...my wife quit paying three loans, five credit cards, the house payment, car loan, and the utilies on a regular basis..the house loan is in my name, we signed on the house three months after we wed, so she signed a quit claim deed to the house. three credit cards where in her name, one loan in mine, one in her's and one opened in my name that i didn't know i had. both cars are in my name...the house was sent to a lawyers office to go to foreclosure court...i came home one night from working and found the notice in the bathroom that the county placed on my door. since november i've paid all my back bills up through payments to collection agencies that i was sue over...this total is between 18,000 and 20,000 dollars. the question i have is , i'm i entitled to any portion of this money paid in a divorce toward the equity i would have to split with her...since we live in mi, the no fault statue is in effect. she, hasn't made good on all of her bills, now she has a vechile in her fathers name, not making regular payments...she made payments for this debt on my bank account without me knowing...then she has debt in her mothers name........i forgot to let you know that she was the party in the marriage responsilble for paying the bills. :confused: :mad:

Everything each of you are responsible for should be contained in the divorce decree. If you sell the house, the first thing you would need to do is pay off the bills and that comes off the top. I would also deduct all the amounts you claim you are owed from her and see what might be left. If she disagrees, she can try to take you to court but you should be prudent about what you deduct (not for silly things or items that should obviously not be deductible.)

If she made charges that were not covered, you might be able to sue her for the amounts. However, if it is your credit card you may have a problem in that you would be primarily liable -- you should have canceled her cards immediately, as well as access to accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back