Why do I owe the state $19000 in unemployment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valeno

I have been receiving unemployment benefits for over 2 years, which includes federal extensions. Recently I received a letter saying that I was summoned for a hearing dealing with the eligibility of my claim. I attended the over the phone hearing along with a representative from the last employer. The judges decision was to deny my benefits. With this denial, they went all the way back to August of 2008 as my over payment window. Which this adds up to over $19000 dollars in benefits they want me to pay back by the 15th of this month. When I began drawing benefits, I had claimed from a job where I was terminated, but the following year I had found a part time job, in which I voluntarily quit due to job dissatisfaction. I had hired in as a 30 hour a week employee, but over the last 2 months I was there, my hours had been cut down to 8 per week. After I quit, the federal government had released unemployment extensions and I simply had applied for one. I was given my benefits back at the same amount that I was drawing previously, they did not adjust for the differences in pay between jobs. I continued to apply for the federal extensions, and was given my benefits back every time (3 extensions to be exact). In December of 2009, I received a letter from the State Workone saying that my claim was under question and that they would send me a decision in a couple weeks. Shortly after I received that decision, and it was favorable to my claim and I resumed my benefits. 3 weeks ago I was sent another letter from the State Workone saying that I would have to apper for the over-the-phone hearing. From there I was denied by yet another letter, only this one states that the State Department made a mistake, and now I owe all the way back to 2008! Is there anything that I can do???

You need an attorney NOW. Quitting a job because you are "dissatified" with it is almost always a disqualifying reason for UI benefits, at least from that period forward.

What should I do if I cannot afford an attorney? This is so confusing. Thanks for the advice though.

Contact Legal Aid in your county or the nearest law school (if there is one) which often offers students for preparation (although they can't represent you).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back