Security Deposit Who's responsible for security deposit when couple's split?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchStanton

I rented a room to a boyfriend and girlfriend couple as a sublet/roommate. The girl left and the guy stayed and lived off the remainder of the rent. He said when the rent was due, he would take over the payments. The problem is, she wants the security deposit back and he can't afford to pay one. So, who's responsible?

I feel like he got "grandfathered" in, being that I rented to her as the responsible party and now I'm stuck with her unemployed boyfriend.

So, do I hold the security deposit because she's responsible for him? Or do I return the security deposit to her, because he's now responsible for himself? (Which probably means I won't get paid)

I rented a room to a boyfriend and girlfriend couple as a sublet/roommate. The girl left and the guy stayed and lived off the remainder of the rent. He said when the rent was due, he would take over the payments. The problem is, she wants the security deposit back and he can't afford to pay one. So, who's responsible?

I feel like he got "grandfathered" in, being that I rented to her as the responsible party and now I'm stuck with her unemployed boyfriend.

So, do I hold the security deposit because she's responsible for him? Or do I return the security deposit to her, because he's now responsible for himself? (Which probably means I won't get paid)

We're BOTH names on the lease?
If BOTH names were on the lease, it's YOUR choice.
But, the right answer might be, it depends.
Are you allowed to sublet according to the terms of YOUR lease?
Why does that matter?
Because, the party who doesn't get the SD back, is likely to RAT you out to the REAL LANDLORD.
If BOTH names are on the lease, you could choose the King Solomon 50/50 option, giving each person HALF.
I suspect it might not matter.
Why?
The DEADBEAT is probably planning on EXTENDING his stay forcing you to bring an eviction action which will allow you to retain the rent to somewhat ease his two to three month EXTENDED stay on your dime!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back