Who should pay this bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renterinmi

Hello, I am a renter in Mi. When the landlord showed us the house she included saying here's the water softener, it should be full of salt and there is more by it for you. It took us a week to get the gas hooked up and the first day of using the water we realized the water softener was not working. I called where it said on the softener - who installed it - and asked them if the landlord rented the unit or bought it, they said she bought it. It would be $75 per hr. to fix it. So I called her and let her know that it was not working, and she said she would set up an appt. for them to come out and fix it. They did the work, sent us the first bill, I sent it to the landlord, called the billing place told them it should be sent to her, and on the third bill they sent it back to us. I called the landlord, and asked her if I paid the $218 bill, could I take it off of the rent, because I really shouldn't be paying it. She said no, we didn't have to have soft water, and that was a choice we made. I told her, no that was a fixed item in this house, and she outrighly bought the unit, it was hers, and her responsibility to fix it not ours. Who should pay this bill?

Both arguements are valid although I side with you. You might look at your lease and see if this item is mentioned in it anywhere. Outside of that you might have to talk to an Attorney to get legal clarification on who owes this money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back