Who owns the property?

repr762

My father & his wife purchased property (mortgage / loan) in 2000 then she packed her bags and left in 2002 never to be seen again. My father finished paying off the loan a few years later by himself. They didn't divorce until 2009 & never did a property settlement. My father died intestate 14 months ago. My fathers ex wife's name is on the property record at the clerk of courts office and mine now as well since I filed a small succession.
So my question is she still entitled to 50% of the property even though she didn't pay hardly anything towards it?

Thanks for your replies,

Repr

My father & his wife purchased property (mortgage / loan) in 2000 then she packed her bags and left in 2002 never to be seen again. My father finished paying off the loan a few years later by himself. They didn't divorce until 2009 & never did a property settlement. My father died intestate 14 months ago. My fathers ex wife's name is on the property record at the clerk of courts office and mine now as well since I filed a small succession.
So my question is she still entitled to 50% of the property even though she didn't pay hardly anything towards it?

Thanks for your replies,

Repr

One need not pay anything to inherit or end up with an ownership interest in real estate.
Had she and your pop remained married, she would likely be a sole owner.
Your dilemma isn't unique.
If she asserts a claim, the court might very well recognize her plea.
I suggest you pay a few hundred bucks and seek the opinion of a LA licensed real estate or trust attorney.

Agree, your best bet in these situations is to contact an attorney to help you protect any rights you might have in the property.

Thanks for the replies, I have previously spoken to an attorney & know that I'm entitled to 50% but that was before the ex mother in law started dragging her feet. I'm considering more aggressive options now.

Back