Who owns the phone?

Derek1194

Jurisdiction
Colorado
So i got a phone plan with my ex back when we were together, we separated and i kept my phone whilst still giving her money to make payments. I have been paying for this phone for a year now (with threats of the police knocking down my down to take the phone if I'm even one day late.) And now that i have established credit and am in the process of switching my number to my account I'm unsure of who owns the phone. In the ownership transfer it states that whomever the previous account owner was (that being her) is responsible for the final balance on the lease, does that mean the phone is hers and she's free to come and take this phone? Or since I've been giving her the money to pay it is the phone mine? Sorry if this is confusing and or long winded. But I'd like to know if she can just show up any minute demanding this phone.

If she has to keep paying for it when you stop, then it's her phone.

Anyway, if you don't want to be hassled by a lunatic ex, give her back the damned phone and get yourself a new one.

Cause the answer to this:

I'd like to know if she can just show up any minute demanding this phone.

Is YES.

She CAN do that. There's nothing stopping her from standing at your door yelling and screaming "Give me the phone."

Dang, I've already paid off 500 of this darn thing. Well i guess that's a reasonably low price to rid myself of an unpleasant ex.

Have you asked the woman what she wishes to do to resolve the issue of the phone?

Have you asked her what she believes you owe in regard to the alleged debt?

I suggest you seek the answers to both of those questions.

Once you have them, you and the other person will av reached an agreement.

Either one of you should reduce the agreement to writing, which includes the fact that you (Mr. Telly Phoneman) will do X, Y, and Z to be held harmless for any further obligations arising from your possession and use of Mobile Phone number (123) 456-7890 provided by United Mobile Device Co. on the account of (Ms. Phone Woman). The agreement should be signed and dated by BOTH parties, with a copy provided to each party.

This can easily be done in a public place (Some Lousy Coffee Purveyor, lobby of police station,
lobby of a courthouse, lobby of a nearby hotel, etc...).

Back