1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Which avenue to take for Massachusetts Lemon Law

Discussion in 'Car Sales, Dealers, Repairs, Lemon Law' started by Zachary Moore, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Zachary Moore

Zachary Moore Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Massachusetts
    So I bought a lemon, and its cost of repair is greater than 10% of the purchase price.

While the garage I went to didn't perform a state inspection, they assured me that with the damage to the lower control arms, it wouldn't pass a thorough inspection and is unsafe to drive long distances. I'll be getting inspected tomorrow.

So my question is this, Massachusetts appears to have two different forms of Lemon Laws for used cars.

One is this, the Failed Inspection Lemon Law:

Failed Inspection Lemon Law

And the other is this, the Used Car Lemon Law:

Used Car Lemon Law

So which one takes precedence? The former option mentions nothing of the dealer's right to perform repairs, and seems rather straightforward; a failed inspection within 7 days qualifies you for a voided contract.

But the latter option seems much more involved, lots of stipulations and requisites and arbitration.

I think I'd prefer to just void the contract outright, as the dealer is over an hour away and I'd end up doing a lot of driving and needing someone to go with me to bring me back and forth.

The dealer I purchased from and contacted didn't even seem to know of the Failed Inspection Law.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Me?

I'd go the easy way. First option.

3. doucar

doucar New Member

If the inspection is done within 7 days after purchase, I would agree with adjustor jack.