where to file the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needlegalhelp

I had sold a truck to someone while I lived in Georgia and he and I both moved to flordia. He went back home to Tampa, FL, and I moved to Jacksonvile FL. To make a long story short he stopped paying me and sold the truck because I had signed the title over to him in order to register the truck(I didn't know about lien's at the time). He still owes me 2000 dollars and I have a witness to the bill of sale and to him not paying anymore,(my neighbor in GA who is the man brother). I don't have the original bill of sale but I do have a faxed document stating he owed me 2 grand and was making payments that he signed.(needed the document to file for medical assistance, had surgery on my finger) My big issue is where do I need to file the small claims case? And do I have any chance of winning the case?
any advise will help thx

File your lawsuit in the county where the bad guy lives.

So I would file where he lives will the trial be held where he lives. I was confused because I had read that I needed to file where he lived but I also read the right of venue law and I thought I would fall in article 7? thx

Right to Venue. The law gives the person or company who has sued you the right to file suit in any one of
several places as listed below. However, if you have been sued in any place other than one of these places, you, as
the defendant, have the right to request that the case be moved to a proper location or venue. A proper location or
venue may be one of the following:
1. Where the contract was entered into.
2. If the suit is on an unsecured promissory note, where the note is signed or where the maker resides.
3. If the suit is to recover property or to foreclose a lien, where the property is located.
4. Where the event giving rise to the suit occurred.
5. Where any one or more of the defendants sued reside.
6. Any location agreed to in a contract.
7. In an action for money due, if there is no agreement as to where suit may be filed, where payment is to be
made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back