Where do I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milizbeth

My cousin lives in a house that has been passed down through family. Her and her brother aquired the house when their father passed, three and a half yrs ago. She is employed but barely lives paycheck to paycheck. He is unemployed and is currently doing a short sentence in rehab. Since then no one has paid taxes on this house. She has gone to see when the taxes are due by and was told she had until April 26th (I think, not positive on the date)or they would auction off the house. She went to see the lawyer who did her fathers estate, to get the deed to the house put in her name(to try to get a loan on the house to pay the taxes). The lawyer (who also done the estate for her father when his mother died and left this same house to him) told her that she couldn't give her the deed to the house in her name because the estate was never closed. Amanda is totally confused and has no idea where to go from here. The lawyer then says she needs to do more paperwork and that she is owed money still and basically sees her to the door and tells her she will get ahold of her.

When the father died she was left as the executor of the estate, they took care of the funeral and met with the lawyer. There was quite a bit of money that was left for the two children. All the life insurance policies were deposited into a checking account under the Estate of their father but there was other money that was cut out in a check in a rather large amount to her which she split with her brother. They told the lawyer at that time they were probably going to sell the house and they werent sure what to do with the deed. ( I am not too sure what exactly was said at any of the meetings as I was not there and she has a vague recelection of any of the transactions) She had control of the checkbook belonging to the estate. She still has that checkbook. She says she paid the bills that were left in his name and closed the account with a zero balance. She did NOT pay the lawyer, as she was never given a bill. She never went to see the lawyer again. The lawyer never tried to contact her again. Her address and her phone number never changed. They spent the money that was cut out to them, however no one paid the taxes on the property. They have gotten a real estate agent who is currently trying to sell the house but are unsure now if they CAN sell the house considering they do not have the deed, nor the money to pay the lawyer.

I appreciate any help, advice, phone numbers, websites, or any other information that might be of help to me. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back