Where do I stand legally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John123789

My jurisdiction is: Minnesota

A former friend of mine, who lives in another state, is threatening to sue be based on the fact that I, over the course of a year, said mean things about her ONLINE to a mutual friend. The former friend threatening to sue to me is not in the public eye. I have 2 questions, 1-does her threat of a suit hold water? 2-would I be able to have a countersuit for blackmail?

This would be a lible suit (slander is spoken word, lible is written.)

Whether or not she can actually even sue in the first place depends on a couple things. First, she would have to show that the things you said were factaully incorrect, and not just opinion. So for example if you said "Jane is a B--ch" then she would not have a lible case. But if you said that you caught her in bed with some strange dude, then she might.

And the reason I say might is that this leads to the second point. The two other things she has to prove is that the things were said/written to begin with, and she has to prove the someone beleived it. Since the mutual friend was the only one you said this to(or I guess emailed), then the ex-friend must prove that it happend, which isn't that hard, but she would also have to have your mutual friend state in court that she believed what you had said. So if the mutual friend stated that yes she got the email from you, but she thought it was pure BS, then you would be OK.

As to your countersuit, you would have to show that she is actually trying to blackmail you. If all she is doing is threatening to sue, then you would not have any basis for a countersuit. On the other hand if she is having you do something or else she will sue you over this, then yes it would be blackmail, but you need to be able to prove she's doing this.

This would be a lible suit (slander is spoken word, lible is written.)

Whether or not she can actually even sue in the first place depends on a couple things. First, she would have to show that the things you said were factaully incorrect, and not just opinion. So for example if you said "Jane is a B--ch" then she would not have a lible case. But if you said that you caught her in bed with some strange dude, then she might.

And the reason I say might is that this leads to the second point. The two other things she has to prove is that the things were said/written to begin with, and she has to prove the someone beleived it. Since the mutual friend was the only one you said this to(or I guess emailed), then the ex-friend must prove that it happend, which isn't that hard, but she would also have to have your mutual friend state in court that she believed what you had said. So if the mutual friend stated that yes she got the email from you, but she thought it was pure BS, then you would be OK.

As to your countersuit, you would have to show that she is actually trying to blackmail you. If all she is doing is threatening to sue, then you would not have any basis for a countersuit. On the other hand if she is having you do something or else she will sue you over this, then yes it would be blackmail, but you need to be able to prove she's doing this.

Thank you, TPA JET. Yes indeed, I am being blackmailed. One email was clearly stated she is looking to be monetarily compensated or else she will continue with her suit. I honestly don't think she would pursue such a frivilous lawsuit over this, but, if she does, she WILL be countersued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back