When does this Amendment end?

LanaW

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Just from reading this Amendment, I cannot tell if this Amendment puts the lease ending at the end of this month or in March.
I have attached a screenshot of the Amendment. Does this put the end date at the end of this month (February) or March?
Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 5.53.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 5.53.46 PM.png
    327.8 KB · Views: 4
Does this put the end date at the end of this month (February) or March?

The addendum to your lease is very clear in stating that your leasehold expires on 29 February 2020. This year, as is every year that is divisible by four, is a leap year. Every leap year has an extra day which is added to February's 28 days, making this February end on 29 February, the date your lease expires.

However, I understand your confusion.

The addendum went on to state that the lease was extended from 01 SEP 19 to 31 MAR 20 (an additional six months, according to my 5 fingers and 1 thumb).

You should discuss this contradiction with your landlord ASAP, to avoid a SNAFU or further FUBARs.

Leases normally expire at the COB (usually 5:00PM).

I suggest you speak with your landlord ASAP to agree upon a day and time you
will have a walk-through, vacate the unit, and return the keys.

The addendum to your lease is very clear in stating that your leasehold expires on 29 February 2020. This year, as is every year that is divisible by four, is a leap year. Every leap year has an extra day which is added to February's 28 days, making this February end on 29 February, the date your lease expires.

However, I understand your confusion.

The addendum went on to state that the lease was extended from 01 SEP 19 to 31 MAR 20 (an additional six months, according to my 5 fingers and 1 thumb).

You should discuss this contradiction with your landlord ASAP, to avoid a SNAFU or further FUBARs.

Leases normally expire at the COB (usually 5:00PM).

I suggest you speak with your landlord ASAP to agree upon a day and time you
will have a walk-through, vacate the unit, and return the keys.

Thank you. Does this change if there was an email exchange that agreed upon an end of March end date before the Amendment was received and signed?

Someone screwed this up. It says that the term of the lease ends on 2/29/20 but that the tenant is obligated to pay $1,850 per month through 3/31/20.

Are you the landlord or the tenant?

Does this change if there was an email exchange that agreed upon an end of March end date before the Amendment was received and signed?

That email exchange doesn't change what the amendment says. However, if the parties end up in court over this, the email exchange might be admissible to help resolve the apparent contradiction in the amendment (although, while it's weird, there really isn't a contradiction between the lease term ending on 2/29 and the obligation to pay rent continuing for an additional month, so maybe it wouldn't be admissible).

How is it that no one caught this at the time the amendment was signed?

Back