When does the executor rights expire

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDSOL12

My step brother was made executor of our dads estate. Everthing was split amoung his kids. This was 16 years ago. I found some money on the site, "unclaimed funds. Would my step brother still be executor of these funds, and would the estate have to be re opened ? The amount is about $ 6,000

My step brother was made executor of our dads estate. Everthing was split amoung his kids. This was 16 years ago. I found some money on the site, "unclaimed funds. Would my step brother still be executor of these funds, and would the estate have to be re opened ? The amount is about $ 6,000

I suggest you investigate further with the site operator.

Your state, OHIO, operates a website that explains unclaimed funds, and how they fall under escheatment laws.

http://www.com.ohio.gov/unfd/

More than likely after 16 odd years, the funds have been fallen into state or government hands via escheatment.

Escheatment transfers of title of property or an estate to the state when an individual dies without a will and legal heirs.
Escheat ensures that property always has a recognized owner, which would be the state or government, if no other claimants to ownership exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back