When can I ask for a refund?

P

pastorejon

Jurisdiction
California
I bought some vending machines through a franchise company in December of last year Part of the money involves them finding suitable locations. It was sometime in June that they found my first location. I had to remove the machine mostly due the machine errors; not the items simply getting stuck but it not working. The same thing happened with my second location. This location had two machines. I now have to remove them at the request of the location. I have no locations. All I have are machines that I've been paying on for eight months. I've lost money even if you don't count the initial purchasing cost. To say that it has nothing but a hassle would be an understatement. Both the company and myself are located in California. They have one potential new location but with all the issues I've had, I am concerned about having to deal with it again. Even with that, I'd still have nine machines after eight months. I hope it doesn't get to a lawsuit but I am way in the hole on this. thank you

Read your contract.
I doubt that you'll get a refund, but if you can, it's in your contract.
Most people simply try to negotiate a way out of those contracts.
It might also be useful to take your documents and have a lawyer review them and advise you further.

Otherwise, see if you can buy your way out for whatever you feel is fair.

That is, of course, if your contract provides no clear exit path.

Agree. You should likely stop thinking about refunds and start thinking about other ways this could be resolved to your satisfaction.

Have you tried to repair these machines? Is there a warranty?

Your question "When can I ask for a refund"? is easily answered by "Anytime you want to."

Just don't count on getting one.

These franchise companies have these iron clad contracts written by very smart lawyers for the franchise's protection, not yours.

My guess is that they'll refer you to the manufacturer's warranty if there is one, and you'll be in breach if you refuse a delivery or quit paying.

I echo the others about consulting an attorney and see if there is anything remotely helpful in your contract.

Back