What's the spousal responsibility in a debt judgement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toomanypeople

As I didn't appear in court regarding a debt that I didn't owe, a judgement was found against me...I know the case doesn't have merit, but my husband is freaking out, thinking now he's on the hook for owing the debt too, as he's married to me. (He's not named anywhere on the paperwork as a co-debtor or in the judgement--it's all just me) We live in Florida--is the law different here--is he on the hook as well, just by virtue of being my hubby????? Also, can my car be attached to satisfy the debt--is there a statute of limitations for transferring the title (I did so within the last year to hubby) or can the collector still attach it to satisfy the lien? (This is not for an auto accident--or anything criminal--just a regular, small claims jusgement over a monetary dispute)

He's not on the hook. But you need to be careful about commingling your assets - you don't want a bank or creditor getting confused about what's yours and what's his and mistakenly garnishing his assets.

The car cannot be attached if it is in his name. But you might face a claim that the transfer was fraudulent or done to defeat your creditors. I don`t know the exact laws in your jurisdiction, but where I am familiar with, transactions less than 2 years old can be overturned if they are done for improper purpose like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back