Consumer Law, Warranties Whats going on here with this job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inneedofadvice1

I am a licensed painting contractor. I gave a written estimate to someone and he came back to me with a list of items he wanted done on a separate invoice or contract. I don't know what you call it. My question is it illegal for him to take my business name and address and write his contract. I didn' t give him permission to use my business information. it looked like my invoice with my business name and address on top and his address to the left.
Basically he agreed to the prices I gave him on my estamate. And I didn't have him sign it. I useally don't have hard customers. Then as we sat at the table after him saying it was ok he handed me his own contract saying he wanted me to sign it to agree to job getting done in a week. I said ok and I signed. Looking after it when i got home I e-mailed him saying this isn't right. He had wrote a note on the contract saying I'll do all this other work at same price. He didn't return message. I quit job but not after 3 days work for a 200 deposit. I at least should of gotten 1,000.oo

It appears the contract was still under negotiation. You tendered an offer, he a counter offer. A contract would be useless without identifying the parties involved. If you started work before the contract was agreed to, you have a problem.

I am a licensed painting contractor. I gave a written estimate to someone and he came back to me with a list of items he wanted done on a separate invoice or contract. I don't know what you call it. My question is it illegal for him to take my business name and address and write his contract. I didn' t give him permission to use my business information. it looked like my invoice with my business name and address on top and his address to the left.
Basically he agreed to the prices I gave him on my estamate. And I didn't have him sign it. I useally don't have hard customers. Then as we sat at the table after him saying it was ok he handed me his own contract saying he wanted me to sign it to agree to job getting done in a week. I said ok and I signed. Looking after it when i got home I e-mailed him saying this isn't right. He had wrote a note on the contract saying I'll do all this other work at same price. He didn't return message. I quit job but not after 3 days work for a 200 deposit. I at least should of gotten 1,000.oo

You signed a contract without reading everything before doing anything.
That is a big NO-NO.
Then you commenced working, discovered the contract wasn't to your liking, and summarily quit.
That is another big NO-NO, that's a breach.
Breaching a contract comes complete with its own damages, read the entire contract, especially the part about non-performance and damages (BREACH).
You could have a bigger problem should the other party wish to avail himself of his right because fo her BREACH.
I suggest you seek a couple FREE consultations with attorneys in your county.
You need to hear it from the horse's mouth.....

You really should have looked at/read the contract before signing it - not after you got home. It seems you breached the contract as army judge noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back