what to serve without lease and nonpayment

Hvenlyeyez

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
My Sister and Father bought a house together. The DEED was Joint tenants with right of survivorship.
My sister passed away in March. Her husband is not paying rent/mortgage and there is no lease. He has called the cops on them and changed locks. Father needs to sell house or get someone in there before losing it to foreclosure. Can they serve a 7 or 10 day eviction notice ? And after I guess they have to go to court ?
Also Father afraid the husband might wreck or burn down house. What options do parents have?

My Sister and Father bought a house together. The DEED was Joint tenants with right of survivorship.
My sister passed away in March. Her husband is not paying rent/mortgage and there is no lease. He has called the cops on them and changed locks. Father needs to sell house or get someone in there before losing it to foreclosure. Can they serve a 7 or 10 day eviction notice ? And after I guess they have to go to court ?
Also Father afraid the husband might wreck or burn down house. What options do parents have?

Your father needs to hire a lawyer TODAY.

I suggest you help him with that task.

The woman's husband is an interloper, as in trespasser.

The SQUATTER has no legal authority to stay on the property.

Once your sister passed away, her half ownership reverted in FULL to your father.

I'd talk to a lawyer in your county about the mechanics involved in removing his daughter's name from the deed.

However, he should make good on the taxes IMMEDIATELY to further secure his ownership.

Its obvious the SQUATTER isn't going to do anything but SQUAT.

In all likelihood, an eviction will suffice, but that won't be as easy as it sounds.

That's why dad needs to consult with a lawyer ASAP to ensure he knows ALL of his legal options and how he should proceed to get the SQUATTER removed legally before the home is demolished beyond repair.

Dad should also make sure homeowner's insurance is in force on the property.

I don't think I need to explain why, as the lack of insurance is painfully obvious.

Back