Vehicle Repossession What to do?

SpectreFE

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Several years ago, during my divorce, I fell behind on my car payments and the creditor attempted to repossess the vehicle. I originally purchased the car in Jan, 2007. During the period of "active" repossession, they came to my house several times a week and left cards at my door when I didn't answer and called quite frequently. The repossession efforts went on for a 2-3 months then ceased all together, they never repossessed the vehicle. Fast forward three years, I still have the car. All traces of the creditor have been removed from my credit report, there is no legal action, past of present, and no 1099 (checked with the IRS last month). I had to renew the registration this month and asked the DMV if a lien holder was shown on the title, to which "yes" was answered.
My question: What can I do with the car?

If you paid off the lender contact the lender and discuss why the lien hasn't been released.

If you stopped paying in the car, of course the lien remains.

There are millions of deadbeats to be chased.

A few escape detection only to find themselves stymied by other laws.

I'm unclear as to whether you paid off the vehicle, stopped paying and believe the car is yours because you hid from the "repo man".

I did not payoff the car, I stopped paying all together. I DO NOT believe that the car is mine because I did not finish payments. All I am trying to determine is what to do with the car.

Thanks for the deadbeat comment... Kinda like me saying, "Typical JAG".....

I did not payoff the car, I stopped paying all together. I DO NOT believe that the car is mine because I did not finish payments. All I am trying to determine is what to do with the car.

Thanks for the deadbeat comment... Kinda like me saying, "Typical JAG".....

Contact the lender, ask how much you owe, if you're not a DEADBEAT.

If you are a DEADBEAT, contact the lender and ask what you should do with their vehicle. You recall, the one you've been using for FREE for almost a decade.

All I am trying to determine is what to do with the car.

Your options are limited because no one with half a brain will buy the car with a lien on it.

Depending on when you stopped paying (default date) it may be too late for a successful lawsuit against you (AZ SOL is 6 years).

There may be some wrecking yards that will take the car for salvage without being too concerned about the lien (they are rare these days), but they aren't going to pay you anything for it.

I suggest you keep driving it as long as maintenance and repairs stay within your financial limits and then try to find a wrecking yard that will take it off your hands.

Back