What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonjiro123

My vehicle was stolen in Georgia in January. At the time I was paying Title Max. I filed a police report that night and notified Title Max. Well, I tried to borrow my mom's car to help my husband as we have 3 kids that all go separate ways in the morning and we work at different times. After being put on notice about my tardies at my job, we decided to take the monies we had received from our taxes to pay Title Max off and put it on a new car. We couldn't afford to pay for a car we didn't have and me lose my job and place more strain on us. So, we stopped paying Title Max and I explained that the vehicle was stolen and I didn't have a vehicle and only had liability insurance on the vehicle.

Well, they recovered the vehicle in Alabama and found out that a 14 year old was driving his mother's car. The police have arrested the mother who turns out to be some owner of a dealership in Birmingham, Alabama. She had changed the VIN # on my vehicle and states she doesn't know who she purchased my vehicle from. Well, when we got the vehicle back, Title Max, of course, came to repossess the vehicle.

My question is, can I sue the person who is being arrested for the amount I owe Title Max and expect recovery since I wouldn't be in this mess if my vehicle wouldn't have been stolen in the first place? All I want is for this to be over. I honestly do not have good credit so I had to put down a boat load of money for the vehicle I have now and am paying what I was paying monthly to Title Max. All of this could have been avoided if my vehicle hadn't been stolen.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated as I don't know what my next step is and I don't know what type lawyer I need or where I go next or even if I need to pursue this.....maybe I cut my losses and move on....idk....

Your entire problem is your own fault. When you take a car loan, you are required to have full coverage insurance, to pay for anything that happens to it, including theft. Your failure to properly insure the vehicle set off the chain of events that led you to where you are now.

Gee thanks for that information. I was out sick and off of my job so had no income and tried to do the best I could for the two months prior. I had just started back working when my vehicle was stolen. But hey, you are right, if the thief could have waited a couple of more days, I would have had a paycheck and could have afforded full coverage. Thanks for nothing pal!! I appreciate your help. :confused:

You can't sue someone for your failure to insure the vehicle. You chose to cut costs by carrying only liability coverage and got burned.
The person who was arrested was not necessarily the person who stole your car. Short of a confession you would never have proof. Also, you would not be awarded the damages you ask.
Regardless of what happens to the car you are responsible for payment. Insurance protects your interest in the car.

Sorry, didn't know you just wanted the answer you wanted to hear. Sue the car thief discovered with the car, the person falsely possessing title to the car and the local police for not catching the thief before your car was stolen. Likely you will accomplish the most by suing the police as the city has has deeper pockets. I rate your likelyhood of success near zero.

Great advice. I actually love this site.....not. It's cynics like you that make me love life. I don't want to pursue anything if there is no need. I think I said that. However, don't judge if you don't know the entire situation. Not everyone is able to maintain stability, without a few glitches in life. I became ill and had to quit my job.....life happens. Geesh, sorry, I asked. I will not be pursuing anything. YOU ARE RIGHT. MY LOSS!! AND definitely my mistake for coming to this forum!!

You can't sue someone for your failure to insure the vehicle. You chose to cut costs by carrying only liability coverage and got burned.
The person who was arrested was not necessarily the person who stole your car. Short of a confession you would never have proof. Also, you would not be awarded the damages you ask.
Regardless of what happens to the car you are responsible for payment. Insurance protects your interest in the car.

The person did confess. But it's cool. I'm not worried. I have a new car and will not be pursuing anything. I have enough money saved to just buy my car back that was repossesed. Thanks anyway for the WONDERFUL advice.

Then you must have been lying, when you said you could not afford to keep the insurance as required by your loan. It all goes to character.

Again, you are not reading and only assuming. As i stated before, this happened in January when I had started back to work and I have since saved the money. So quick to judge. You are really looking for a fix but I'm not going to give it to you. Instead, I will ask you to please stop replying to MY thread since you really have no REAL advice to offer and I'm done with this anyway. I'm deleting this and spamming the alerts. So, HAVE A NICE LIFE AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT VICTIM. IT'S BEEN A RIDE!!

Again, you are not reading and only assuming. As i stated before, this happened in January when I had started back to work and I have since saved the money. So quick to judge. You are really looking for a fix but I'm not going to give it to you. Instead, I will ask you to please stop replying to MY thread since you really have no REAL advice to offer and I'm done with this anyway. I'm deleting this and spamming the alerts. So, HAVE A NICE LIFE AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT VICTIM. IT'S BEEN A RIDE!!

Well, you won't get my answer, but I'll post it anyway.

The 14 year is a legal incompetent.

He is immune from suit.

You'd have to sue his parents, but did he steal the car?

If you could prove he stole the car, you might be able to sue his parents.

The problem there is, even if you could prove it, he probably comes from a family of ne'er do wells.

So, all you'd end up with is a judgment on a piece of useless paper, no money.

But, parents in Alabama are only liable for $1,000, if you could show they were responsible for the deed of the kid.

Another but, you'd have to go to Alabama to bring the lawsuit.

Sorry, I see no remedy in any court for you.

http://www.mwl-law.com/CM/Resources/Parental-Responsibility-Chart.pdf

Out of an abundance of curiosity, what make, model, and year was your car?

What did you owe on the car?

How much was the car's KBB value?

Last edited:
OP does not know who stole her car. She wants to sue the minor found driving it, his mom and his moms dealership apparently.

The person did confess. But it's cool. I'm not worried. I have a new car and will not be pursuing anything. I have enough money saved to just buy my car back that was repossesed. Thanks anyway for the WONDERFUL advice.

The best you might hope to get from the thief is compensation for any damage to your car, and maybe other incidental costs.
You would not get a judgment ordering the thief to pay your loan. Even if you did, you would never see the money. If the thief had that kind of money he wouldn't likely be stealing cars.
If you have no insurance coverage your only option is to suck up the cost and let it go- though you can speak with the District Attorney about anything you might be due from restitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back