what state to I file in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrxcgllc

I was contracted to do some consulting work for a firm. I did the work to thier satisfaction. I have called and called about getting paid. They finally asked for my fed. tax ID as I did the work under my LLC.
Now it has been a game of dodge they are playing saying the person who needs to sign the check has family emergency, trying to close a deal, yada yada.

Well, that same afternoon I called with a blocked no. and asked for him and he answered the phone. Hummed and hawed, asked how the weather was. I told him I needed the check signed and FedExed to be here on Saturday. He agreed. It aint here.

I have emails and recorded phone conversations (I live in a one-party state) and I want to go ahead and take it to small claims. I am sending a demand letter with a copy of the invoice and emails supporting our communications.

But, do I file against this LLC by my LLC in the state I did the work in and am registered to perform the work or do I have to go there to that LLC is registered? And, can I sue for damages also that include travel to appear in court?

Thanks

Virtually all small claims courts are limited in jurisdiction to suits in the county where the defendant is located. The plaintiff's location is irrelevant for the most part.

Originally posted by hrxcgllc
I was contracted to do some consulting work for a firm. I did the work to thier satisfaction. I have called and called about getting paid. They finally asked for my fed. tax ID as I did the work under my LLC.
Now it has been a game of dodge they are playing saying the person who needs to sign the check has family emergency, trying to close a deal, yada yada.

Well, that same afternoon I called with a blocked no. and asked for him and he answered the phone. Hummed and hawed, asked how the weather was. I told him I needed the check signed and FedExed to be here on Saturday. He agreed. It aint here.

I have emails and recorded phone conversations (I live in a one-party state) and I want to go ahead and take it to small claims. I am sending a demand letter with a copy of the invoice and emails supporting our communications.

But, do I file against this LLC by my LLC in the state I did the work in and am registered to perform the work or do I have to go there to that LLC is registered? And, can I sue for damages also that include travel to appear in court?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back