What should I take with me to court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heli123

Hi, I am the guy with the 17 yo who committed a crime and has a very large resituition to pay. His mother has told the court that she does not have a job although she has two and she is trying to stick me with the bill that I cannot afford. My son has a settlement in his name that could be used to pay this off and the referee ordered this to happen, but now we are going back to court to have a judge decide for sure. I guess that this is due to the fact that his settlement is through probate court?
I am taking my families medical bills as they are quite extensive from this last year and also proof that his mother has a job. Is there anything else I should bring with me that could be beneficial to me in this case? At the last meeting the referee asked if I could afford to pay this and I told him no with the reason of my large ongoing medical bills and another household to support. I could also be jobless in the future as my company is going through an aquisition....but that is not for likely just a possibility. Any help will be appreciated. I just want to be ready for this!

If you're talking about a large amount of money, bring a lawyer. It would seem that the best you can do is to show that the other party cannot get blood from a stone. If you could settle the amount of restitution for a lower sum, you'd probably be best off. If they see that the longer time goes on the lower the chances of seeing the money, there is some leverage to settle. As always, these settlement discussions are case specific. An attorney is highly advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back