what should I expect in court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdr999

I have 2 class a misdemeanor convictions in NY, one in 1992, and one in 1997, I have nothing on my record since. my friend runs a social networking event every thursday night in a night club that he rents for the evening. I have been working for him every week for over a year, he has 3 or 4 other people working, and we all do general tasks such as greet the customers, check the music, make sure the air conditioning works, clean up empty drinks, etc. He also has 1 licensed security person on staff.

this past week, I was upstairs in one of the rooms, when a group of police came in, apparently they had some issues with complaints from the neighbors, etc. when they questioned me as to what i did there, I mentioned all my duties, and also that I try to make sure that everyone is ok, etc, he said,"so you do security"? I am not hired as a security person at all, as far as I knew I was just making some extra money helping my friend run his party.

he took my ID, as well as 2 other people, and i was given an appearance ticket for being an "unlicensed security guard".....

I know I have to appear in court, and get council, but I am very concerned about the whole process, what will happen etc.! i know my other offenses were long ago, more servere, and completely unrelated to this, and I also know that I wasnt doing what they said I was doing, but I dont how I will be viewed when I go to court!!?? Will I be forced to plead not guilty and go through a lengthy process because of my past? is there any chance it will still be reduced to a violation?

What should I expect? do I have reason to be very worried?

Yes, for your sake plead not guilty.
Never tell the police anything but your name, address, date of birth, and address. Show them picture ID, if they ask for it. Be polite, and then you'd like to speak with an attorney. You are under no obligation to answer any questions police might ask. The police can do only one thing to you (legally) arrest you or charge you and release. Talking to them never gets you out of trouble.

Okay, plead not guilty. Ask for a court appointed attorney, or hire your own. It may take some time, but rushing got you into this mess. So, don't start rushing now.

Otherwise, plead guilty, and beg for mercy. Don't expect much these days. The courts want money or time; sometimes both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back