Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication What should I expect and what steps should I take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoughtninja

Last night I went out to a bar with my cousin and friend and on our way back my idiot cousin leans out the window and yells something stupid to a cop that has already pulled someone over. We continue down the road until another cop, or it may have been the same cop, pulls us over. He asks my friend (the driver) to get out the car. Then I was next. Then my cousin. We are searched and asked if anything was in the vehicle. I remained silent.

My cousin then tells the cop where a bag of weed is located. They find it. The cop had noticed my friends pipe already so this is what prompted the search. We are handcuffed but after further searching they don't find anything else and we are then told we are being charged with possession (5 grams) and paraphernalia. They uncuffed us and made us sign a document each stating we would be sent a court date in the mail then sent us on our way. My cousin and friend also got citations for not wearing a seat belt. I believe they called the main charges citations as well.

My question is what can I expect to come of this?

I'm 23 years old. I have zero criminal history (squeaky clean) and it wasn't my weed or pipe found in the car. The pipe was my friends and the weed my cousins yet we all got charged with it. I'm pretty sure they stated this to the officers and will own up to it in court. I just stayed quiet basically the whole time. I only answered basic yes or no questions about my address, employment, and social security number. I assumed they wouldn't have believed me if I tried to tell them it wasn't my stuff anyway. I didn't have anything on my person either.

I'm assuming I should definitely get a lawyer but what are my chances of probation? Will I get jail time for this?

I've heard of a diversion program that one of my other friends is currently in and wish to pursue this course of action. Basically I want to know what I should do.

As a last note this was in Lafayette Louisiana.

Last edited:
A lawyer is a wise choice, and if you plead your case to the judge and tell them you had no connection with the drugs you may be found innocent of the charges. but yes get a lawyer to represent you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back