What next??

Status
Not open for further replies.

canutillo31

I was in a car crash in August 2006, the woman that hit me had no insurance. For months, her husband and I argued about possible arrangements for the damages to my truck. In July 2007 I took her to small claims court and won the claim for $3,500. But, the next month when she was suppose to meet me to make a payment like the judge ordered, she was a no show and had changed her number. There is no other way for me to contact her. I called the court to let them know and they told me the next step for me to take was an abstract of justice which cost $10. So doing so I was told that form would register the judge's decision with the county. So I did. When I was still unable to contact this woman, I called the court again and was then told the next step would cost me close to $200 just for a rite of exucution form. I was told the details and the purpose of the rite. I refused. It has been more than half a year that I have been searching for another way and I have become very frustrated. I was also told by the court that if the woman appears not able to pay the claim, that I was wasting my time pursuing this. How, and is it possible to collect my claim without having to keep pulling from my own pocket? And is this really a waste of time??? If possible how could I get a garnisment arrangement so I really don't have to deal with her anymore. Please let me know, anything. I refuse to stop till I get the claim for my damages. Please help. :angel
Thank you,
Canutillo31

Last edited:
Getting a judgment is usually the easiest part. I have several hanging on my wall that are useless after years in court. If the party does not own any real property then it is extremely difficult. One thing you can do is to put it on her credit report.

Garnishment depends on state law and you have to file for a writ of execution first.

Assign the judgment to a collection agency or collection attorney on a contingency basis. Yes, they will take a portion (usually 40%-50% of collected monies), but they (usually) will also front court costs and further attorney's fees. If they don't collect anything, you don't owe them anything. 50% of something is better than nothing, especially if you don't have the capital to try and enforce the judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back