What legal rights does birth father have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musterion3463

My wife and I are in our 50's and are currently raising a 6 year old grandson. The mother of this child is our 30 year old daughter. This same daughter who does not seem to be able to hold down a job or make anything of her life, is now pregant again. The birth father of this child does work but isn't stable by any means. When he found out of our daughters condition he left her and hasn't been seen or heard from for a few months. Our daughter had a cell phone that was in his name, he had it disconnected. I know he had that right and I only mention it to show of his total disregaurd of her situation. My wife has a sister and brother-in-law in Texas whom cannot have children of their own. They do have an 11 year old adopted daughter that has been with them since birth. The child is simply wonderful, because of the nurture of these great parents.They have expressed a desire to adopt our daughters baby. All concerned in our family including our daughter think it is a great answer to our problem. Now here is the legal problem: The birth father, who has two other children, one by an exwife, and one out of wedlock whom he contributes no support of any kind. This deadbeat dad and soon to be deadbeat dad again, is making noises about this adoption saying he will never let his child be raised by someone else.

What are his rights and what should we do. I'm sorry I bothered you with this I just need a little legal guidance.

The birth father does have rights, and he will have to consent to the adoption. You, nor this other couple have no relationship yet with this child so if mom is unfit, Dad can petition the courts for rights. This couple should not be planning on adopting this baby without going through the proper channels (getting an adoption attorney) and paternity will need to be established.

You seem to know an awful lot about this man, I dont know how you know about his kids or lack of child support, but the fact remains, he does have rights and you should not be planning on helping another couple adopt a cihld that is not theirs, nor do they have any rights too.

He was dating my daughter and I spent some time with him getting to know him. That's part of how I know him. I gave him a ticket and took him to a college football game, at which he got sloppy drunk started popping pain pills, spewing off at the mouth, and being a total pain in everyone's rear. My friends said they would never go anywhere with him again. My daughter is worthless and so is he. The adoption was to be a private family thing as we all thought he was gone for good. I'm raising one and don't plan to raise another. I'll be on social security before my grandson that I'm raising is out of high school.I know more about him because he parted across the road with a family member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back