What law or set of laws make it unlawful for government officials ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmfod

what law or set of laws make it unlawful for state and government officials to interrogate a person after they hire or demand their attorney?

It's rarely unlawful for any official to interrogate a person. What's important is whether the information garnered will be admissible in court.

Very simply, if the person wants an attorney, s/he needs to say so and then keep their mouth very firmly shut until the attorney turns up.

Just what kind of "government officials" are we talking about? If it's the local Postmaster, he might be able to interrogate someone as long as he wants - or until the person leaves. If it's a police officer and you are not free to leave, then Miranda nad potential Constitutional protections would apply as well as any state law concerning the issue.

Not every state makes it unlawful to continue an interrogation if Miranda has been invoked, and not every interrogation is subject to Miranda. Understanding the context and details here would help a lot.

I am talking about police or DCFS caseworkers. Sometimes they seem to back off like a vampire from a crucifix once you tell them to talk to my attorney. Was wondering if their is a law requiring this.

Miranda is not generally going to apply unless there is also custody, so if they back off it's because they choose to. And DCFS, Miranda may not apply to them since they don't have the capability to take people into custody ... though maybe they are peace officers in your state, i don't know.

If Miranda applies and you ask for an attorney, most states mandate that the interview must cease. Some states might still allow the interview to continue with the understanding that they can use nothing from that subnsequent interview ... it's not too bright (with a few exceptions), but might be perfectly lawful.

I am talking about police or DCFS caseworkers. Sometimes they seem to back off like a vampire from a crucifix once you tell them to talk to my attorney. Was wondering if their is a law requiring this.

The US Constitution provides many rights.

Among those many rights is your right to silence to avoid self incrimination, your right to legal representation, and your right to refuse to speak about anything that can cause you criminal jeopardy to governmental entities, especially the criminal justice system.

Miranda was simply the Supreme Court ruling that further refined and interpreted that law enforcement agencies must advise you of your RIGHT to remain silent when the FINGER of suspicion was pointing at YOU.

Miranda was also a very feeble minded man, who was later killed in a bar fight by another patron with a knife. Curiously, no one at the scene chose to speak to the police as to who killed Miranda. As I say, life does end full circle. Miranda died at the hands of a killer, and no one chose to reveal the killer's identity, although its believed several knew. Ironic drama at its best, or perhaps sardonic drama, either way, life's fickle finger of fate struck the final blow.

DCFS and the police have certain law enforcement powers, and a simple, "I decline to speak with you under the advice of counsel" is, as you said, a very powerful repellent to these entities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back