what is the Statue of Limitations on Rape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock

I'm currently married and have been for Five years. Within the last couple of days our lives have changed severly. My husband's second cousin who just turned eighteen was hypnotized and it came out that he supposely raped her when she was seven years old. He says that he never did it and that she is lying. The family wants to press charges aginst him but the actual girl that was the victim says no that she doesn't. The fmily is a pretty tight family and the girl is kinda like an outsider of the family has been into drugs, alchol, and probalby sleeping around. Her biological father says that they have her on tape. My husband was not told by them directly of what they are accusing him of but through another family member. The family that is accusing him is not all that normal and many skelton in the closets so what I'm told and the my husband doesn't really have any but can hypnoptism really work and if it does repress surpressesd memories can they be liable in court, or is the statue of limitations over. I really need help this is going to tear me and my husband aprt because the biological father is now starting rumers that he is affriad the my husband is probably touching our 4year daughter. Which I have asked her and she says mo and I believe her but I 'm affraid that it is not going to matter. HELP!!!!!!!

Originally posted by rock:
I'm currently married and have been for Five years. Within the last couple of days our lives have changed severly. My husband's second cousin who just turned eighteen was hypnotized and it came out that he supposely raped her when she was seven years old. He says that he never did it and that she is lying. The family wants to press charges aginst him but the actual girl that was the victim says no that she doesn't. The fmily is a pretty tight family and the girl is kinda like an outsider of the family has been into drugs, alchol, and probalby sleeping around. Her biological father says that they have her on tape. My husband was not told by them directly of what they are accusing him of but through another family member. The family that is accusing him is not all that normal and many skelton in the closets so what I'm told and the my husband doesn't really have any but can hypnoptism really work and if it does repress surpressesd memories can they be liable in court, or is the statue of limitations over. I really need help this is going to tear me and my husband aprt because the biological father is now starting rumers that he is affriad the my husband is probably touching our 4year daughter. Which I have asked her and she says mo and I believe her but I 'm affraid that it is not going to matter. HELP!!!!!!!
The statute of limitations varies by state but it usually is tolled (the clock doesn't start ticking) until the victim is 18 or of legal age. At that time it can be several years and would seem to be within the time period you are looking at. If the facts came out under hypnosis, you have to wonder -- if she was really under, you have to wonder about the validity of the claim. As far as the drugs and promiscuous behavior, if a rape occurred it wouldn't be unheard of that such activity was as a result of dealing with the trauma at a young age. I think you should seek serious assistance of a professional in this regard and not just an attorney. I'm sorry for the difficulty you are going through but this is a difficult and complex matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back