What is the limit to grandparents rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

backstagediva

My grandson's mother has refused to let me see my grandson for the last 3 months. Not because i did anything but because she is mad at my son for not paying child support.(he got laid off so the child support stopped) I have always been a part of my grandsons life. He lived with me from September 2007 to June 2008. Me and his mother drew up a paper giving me temp custody and we had it notorized. She has always had the habit of letting the grandparents keep the kids long term when it suits her and then coming to get them. She has warrents for her arrest in another county, She is unstable, I feel. She is the nicest person and then she suddenly changes. This go round, she called both grandparents(she has another child by someone ele) and told us she turned the kids over to children services. I called and children services had no record. She lied and told us we couldnt see our grandkids because we have deadbeat dads as sons. She told me if I wanted to see him, i would have to take her to court. I reported her to Children's services who said they no longer can go to the person's house unless it is a life death situation. She suggested I call legal aid. I was informed that another case involving her was already in there system relating to visitation so it would be a conflict of interest. All I want is visitation I dont want to take him from her but i am worried about him and i am worried that she is telling him all sorts of lies about me and his dad. She refuses to talk to me and she says he soesnt want to talk to me. I am heart broken and dont know what to do

Your son needs to go to court and get his visitation if mom is in contempt, then you can see your grandson on your sons time. He is the one that needs to act and grow a backbone to mom. Mom cannot withhold court ordered visits just because of non payment of support. Mom obviously does not want to deal with you so you need to talk to your son. He does not need an attorney to take her to court.

Also, if his financial situation has changed, he should file for a reduction in support. He can't just stop paying or he could end up in jail or have his license suspended, or both.

And any papers you signed are worthless. Notarizing something just means that the persons signing are who they say they are. Unless it's filed with the court, it means nothing.

I hope you didn't report her to CPS hoping the would take the child and give him to you. It would have to be really BAD for them to remove, and there is no guarantee the child would be placed with you.

If the child lived with you that long, you MIGHT (in some states) have grounds to TRY to get visits because there is a bond, but it's very risky and with no guarantee of success. And if you lost, she wouldn't let you see him again. How old is the child?

As was stated already, Dad needs to get court ordered time so that you can see his son on his time (if Dad allows it). Frankly, when she left the child with you for so long, Dad should have filed for custody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back