what if I am about to be sued, but I have no money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymouslysu

I received a letter requesting insurance information for either renters insurance or homeowners insurance.
We rent our house but have no renters insurance, the landlords have homeowners insurance but our problem would fall on a renters insurance.
The letter says if we do not comply with the info then they will file suit.
The letter also says the accident did not happen at our address, (our dogs got out and caused a man to twist his knee - no biting was involved).
The letter was not addressed to the Po box it was addressed to our house, but our only means of receiving mail is via Po box.
In short, did they correctly go about getting us this letter, and are we forced to respond? It would be very easy to say we never got the letter.

I received a letter requesting insurance information for either renters insurance or homeowners insurance.
We rent our house but have no renters insurance, the landlords have homeowners insurance but our problem would fall on a renters insurance.
The letter also says the accident did not happen at our address, (our dogs got out and caused a man to twist his knee - no biting was involved).
The letter was not addressed to the Po box it was addressed to our house, but our only means of receiving mail is via Po box.
In short, did they correctly go about getting us this letter, and are we forced to respond? It would be very easy to say we never got the letter.

You don't have to respond if you don't want to, and they also can't take what you don't have.
I'm not sure renters insurance would cover this anyway.
Personally, I would ignore this until served an actual summons to court, and I would then obtain legal counsel.

Never lie, don't even think about lying. Trust me, I've known some very good liars who got tripped up lying to and before a court, especially under oath.

Unless the letter was handed to you (or surreptitiously secreted upon your property by a rogue process server), you're only required to respond to official court notices.

You'll know them when, and if, you receive one.
A friendly law enforcement officer hand delivers them to you, or a legitimate process server could do the same. Neither of them would hesitate, if you asked them who they are.

After you receive a legal court document ( a REAL document), you can verify its authenticity with the real court before which you've been ordered to appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back