what happens to a Safe deposit box

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatdanecrazy

Hi, this is a real complicated mess. I had filed for divorce from my husband and we were only legally seperated when he committed suicide. During this seperation, I think he put my jewelry in a safe deposit box. He provided a terrible picture of what was supposed to be my jewelry in a box. The court has dismissed the divorce, and I am his widow. He has two grown children from previous marriages. I have the key to the box and I have asked the bank for access to it. They keep telling me I need to go to Probate to get access to what is my jewelry, I gave the children his jewelry and most of the things they requested. His checking account is in the negative, so I was not willing to pay a lawyer from the meager funds I have to live on, for nothing. I tried filing a Small Estate claim, but his children are blaiming me for his suicide and will not help me by signing the Agreement Waiver. Payment on the box is due and I do not know what else I can do to get access to this box that may or may not hold my jewelry. I do not know if he sold any of it to pay for his lavish lifestyle while we were seperated. I never was a big jewelry person. Help.

You need to do some thinking.

The main question you need to answer is: How much is your stuff worth?

If its considerable, then start the engines of litigation or probate.

If its relatively inconsequential in its MONETARY (not its sentimental) VALUE, you might want to litigate.

If not, let it go.

You can always consult a couple local attorneys. They know many things we aren't privy to knowing.

Good luck....

The property in the box is mine and does have sentimental value, he was under a court order, at the time, from the legal seperation to not dispose of my property. Can I use this argument with the bank and force them to open the box to see what is in it?

The property in the box is mine and does have sentimental value, he was under a court order, at the time, from the legal seperation to not dispose of my property. Can I use this argument with the bank and force them to open the box to see what is in it?

Why not ask the bank if they could look in the box and advise you accordingly?

Otherwise, you;ll need a court order to have the box opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back