What does As-Is really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarity904

Okay, I'll try to be quick. In January, we were behind in our rent because husband lost his job. Landlord said they'd waive late fees if we agreed to stay an additional year. They sent us a new contract, we signed, rent increased $100, disaster averted. Except that when summer came and we asked for screens to be put over the windows so we could air out the house without being eaten alive by insects or allowing wild pets into our home, they said that screens were considered an improvement to the property and we could have them only if we paid for them. They said that our new lease stated we were accepting the property "As-Is." However, in California, a lack of screens is a negative for habitability. Does "As-Is" mean they don't have to fix habitability problems?

Oh, side note, can they stop me from trying to find a replacement tenant?

Okay, I'll try to be quick. In January, we were behind in our rent because husband lost his job. Landlord said they'd waive late fees if we agreed to stay an additional year. They sent us a new contract, we signed, rent increased $100, disaster averted. Except that when summer came and we asked for screens to be put over the windows so we could air out the house without being eaten alive by insects or allowing wild pets into our home, they said that screens were considered an improvement to the property and we could have them only if we paid for them. They said that our new lease stated we were accepting the property "As-Is." However, in California, a lack of screens is a negative for habitability. Does "As-Is" mean they don't have to fix habitability problems?

Oh, side note, can they stop me from trying to find a replacement tenant?

As is means, in the condition you found it.
Or, in your case, in the condition you rented it.
Just buy your own screens.

No, you can find a person to sublet.
But, the landlord probably has final say over accepting the person you find.
I suspect they can do their own credit and criminal check, if so inclined.
Why not ask the landlord?

Be advised, getting a person to sublet often makes more trouble for you.
There are reasons many people sublet.
Some have very bad credit, and won't pay their bills.
That leaves you having to pay, when they default.
Some have criminal histories or are involved with people that have criminal histories.
Subletting is very risky, and rarely worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back