What do I do?

C

cwebb

Jurisdiction
Utah
My mom died 6-8-2016 she and my father had been divorced since about 1999. I am the oldest child and the only one who took any part (the whole thing) of the planning and carrying out of her funeral. She died unexpectedly and had no will or power of attorney in place. As I am going about trying to take care of any of her unfinished business and take care of closing her accounts. She was essentially homeless, when she died she was living with her step mom and step brother and she was not employed she was collecting social security disability so she doesn't have much as far as assets I was just hoping to use any money that was left in her account to help cover the costs of the funeral not for personal gain. I went to the bank to take care of her accounts and they told me that I need some form in order to gain access to the funds in her account. What do I need to do, what documents do I need? Do I need legal services. Just trying to wrap things up for her.

Please accept my sincere condolences upon the all too recent passing of your beloved mother.

I hope you grieve in peace her memory.

You might be able to get the bank to close her account by showing your mother's death certificate.

I suspect the funeral home gave you a copy of her death certificate.

Normally banks want to see such a certificate with the raised seal of the state or county, not just a photocopy.

If you don't have such a document, somewhere in your county or state government you can obtain two or three certified copies. The funeral director might be able to help you get one, so ask.

It seems as if your mother had no estate (or a very small estate) upon her death. I wouldn't worry about closing her accounts as you have no legal obligation to do so.

As far as the funeral home, if you made those arrangements, how you address that is up to you and the funeral director.

God luck.

What do I need to do, what documents do I need?

While the bank might close the account based on the death certificate it won't give you the money unless you were listed on the account as beneficiary or you go to court and open probate under intestacy and get your court papers authorizing you to act for the estate.

Utah has a simplified process for small estates. Visit your local probate court for forms and instructions.

Last edited:
Back