what do I do about $4000 overdue rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefine

I am subleasing my place to my roommate and he has been with me one year. I am the lessee of the apartment. There is no written contract between me and my roommate, only a verbal agreement that he pays $1200 per month.

He is $4000 behind on rent. He has been overseas for around 5 months working on a tv show and says he has little access to phone and email. He seldom answers email, never answers the phone or returns calls.

He has emailed me saying that he has the money but it is almost impossible for him to pay it from overseas.

He deposited two small payments (not the full amount) several weeks apart but for the past two months he has paid nothing despite several assurances that he will pay.

I need advice on
a) how to sue him for unpaid rent when I have no idea how to serve him with court documents
b) how to evict him in a legal manner because he is not making good his assurances (by email) to pay me

I know nobody who knows him.

He has a considerable amount of furniture and personal belongings in my apartment, and he says he wants to continue renting from me for the foreseeable future, returning from time to time as his job allows it. Problem is the amount of rent he now owes is getting out of hand.

He did pay a security deposit when he moved in, but it was only $600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back