What constutes dismissal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

taras

I work for a real estate agency, originally as a secretary at the office. My husband is in a rehab program for alcohol abuse and I've been working from home for the past month. My boss is also my landlord, and I gave her my 30-days notice on my lease Monday 16th of June and now she is not giving me any specific assignments, nor is she giving me any type of feedback when I ask her dircetly how much time she wants me to put in on the clock. She keeps telling me that there are things she'd like to discuss with me, such as issues with the house, but she won't even say what those issues are. We have been communicating via email, since the phone I'm using right now needs a new battery and I haven't had the opportunity to get a new one, and I have a few suspicions.
1. She wants to talk verbally because she's the intimidating type and doesn't want me to have an opportunity to think about my responses and wants to be able to be able to manipulate me.
2. She doesn't want to commit whatever it is to print because she's afraid that if I have proof of whatever it is she is going to say that it could come back to bite her.
3. I also think that she is trying to avoid actually firing me. In my e-mail on Monday which explained my situation I clearly expressed that I still want to work for her but that if she felt she didn't need my services any more that I would like a dismissal letter because I will need that to take to my case worker at DHS (I am currently on govt. assistance for food and medicaid).
I guess my question is this: if she's not giving me any assignments/instructions for how to use my time, nor any indication of how much time I should be on the clock or any other idea as to how much she's going to pay me, has she in effect fired me? Do I have any recourse legally? I badly need an income and if she's going to fire me I know that with my husband being in treatment for alcoholism that I would probably qualify for unemployment benefits and obviously need to start those proceedings as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back