What consititutes libel and do I have a case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serolf

I have a psuedo online celebrity who has accused me of cyber bullying and posted my picture on their Twitter page, which has received numerous death threats. I assure you, this is a case of mistaken identity and I have never, NEVER, bullied this person. I have contacted this person, civilly, and requested to have them remove the picture and have requested the removal via Twitter. So far, I haven't received any direct threats since my personal information has not been given out - just my profile picture. However, I fear that this will escalate into my info being released and would like to stop that from occuring. What recourse do I have currently with my picture on display and what would happen if they were to release my personal info?

You are best served to address your concerns to site administrators or moderators.

You might follow that up with a letter (NOT AN EMAIL), expressing and clarifying your concerns to the headquarters of the site operator.

If you're smart, you'll send it via overnight USPS, FedEx, or UPS.

You could also telefax a copy of said letter to the site operator's HQ, too.

If you feel threatened, or if a crime has been (or will be) committed, you should take th ematter IMMEDIATELY to your nearest police agency. They wiull then advise you accordingly.

You don't want to hear this, but I'll throw it out there.

In the future, don't post any personal (or identifying) information on websites.

You pretty much have no recourse. Do your best to ignore it and it will go away.
From what you describe, it seems nothing illegal has been done, and there isn't much of a civil complaint to make either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back