What can my dad do? Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meli2235

My dad and uncle own a restaurant together. My dad owns 85% and my uncle owns 15% as stated by law (they went to court because my uncle says he owns more but the court agreed with my dad). My dad and uncle receive the same amount of money twice a month. My uncle comes into the restaurant every single day and takes between $20-$200 extra. My dad NEVER does this. The restaurant isn't making money because my uncle keeps dipping into the registers. We have called the police but they don't care. They say that he is part-owner so it's ok. The restaurant is going into debt because of it. My uncle has also started fist fights with my dad and threatened to kill him while waving a knife at him. During that same instance he tackled a police officer into a door with customers present. The officer yelled for help and some customers had to restrain him while back up arrived. When back up arrived he told the officers that he had no idea why he was being arrested that he hadn't done anything and everyone is against him. He drinks like a lot. Anyways he was bailed out and a week later he forged my dads signature on a $500 check for a bar tab. What can my dad do? He has no money because his brother takes it. He can't go to court because it would cost too much and we don't even pay our bills since we have no money much less pay a lawyer. What are my dads options? I don't sleep and neither does my dad. I never feel safe and am always stressed. My dad can't declare bankruptcy because we owe money to the State. His brother was in charge of the Restaurant until last year. He had hired illegals and under paid them. My didn't know since he never had anything to do with the restaurant. He incurred a $25,000 debt to the state because of it. Please help!! P.S. is it legal for an owner to take money from the register and not pay taxes on the money that he took?

Your dad needs to sue his brother (if nothing else, brother has 15% of the business to sue for), and needs to report all acts of violence to the police, and also obtain a restraining order to keep him away from the business.
Quite a mess.

The judge denied the restraining order because his brother is on the lease and ownership so he said no. We filed and were denied 2 weeks ago. He is physically and emotionally abusive to the workers as well. about 2 months ago he twisted one of the cashiers arms for not allowing him to get to the register. He also called her a bunch of vulgar names. There was a police report on it as well as another worker having gotten a restraining order against him last year but judge ruled in my uncles favor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back