What can I do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PleaseHelpMe31

My jurisdiction is: Illinois

My Question:

Three years ago, a friend and I stole computers and misc computer parts from a warehouse that we both worked at. We then sold them on EBay. The money that was received was split 50/50 between us. Eventually, we got caught and the FBI showed up at our home. They came in, searched, took whatever they could and that was it. Both of us have written testimonies for the FBI stating that we both committed the crime of stealing the items and selling them across state lines for profit.

Before the FBI showed up at our door, we both looked into joining the Army Reserves. I decided that it wasn't for me, but my friend continued with the process. So at the time the FBI came, he was still in the process of joining.

A few months later, I got a letter in the mail stating that a court date has been set, but it was for me only. I was told that since the friend was at basic training, his trial was going to be postponed until he returned.

I went to trial and was blamed for the whole thing and now have a felony conviction. I was on house arrest for 6 months and probation for 3 years. And I am ordered to pay back the entire restitution amount with fees which came to approximately $65,000.

Obviously, we no longer speak, but I still hear updates about him. When asked why he didn't get prosecuted or at least ordered to pay back his half of the restitution he says that "he's not supposed to talk about it." After my trial, the other defendant went active to the military and was sent to Iraq. (If I had to guess, I think this was his "deal") But regardless, he was paid full active duty while he was there. And to top it off he got married while he was there so he could earn the double paycheck. I don't understand how this could be his punishment for the crime since #1 he never went to trial, and #2 he got paid for being there.

Within the last year, I asked both my attorney and my probation officer to see what they could do as far as getting an answer out of the DA to why they did not go after this other defendant. We got a letter back from the DA saying basically, "I can pick and choose who I want to prosecute and don't have to explain it to anyone."

I am just about complete with my three years probation and would like to look into any option I have to get this other person to have to pay back his part of the restitution. I have the document he wrote to the FBI stating he did it too. And I also have bank statements showing him depositing the money into his account. I could even provide witnesses who can state he was part of the scheme. Can somebody please help me? I don't even know what kind of lawyer I should be seeking advice from.

You should seek advice from a civil litigator.

FYI, if he owes you half of $65,000, it's probably not a small claims matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back